Dive Instructor Development Course – IDC
Koh Tao in Thailand is the most successful dive training location in the World! Join our PADI Dive Instructor Development Course (IDC) Koh Tao Program at Sairee Cottage Diving and be part of one of the fastest growing Dive Centers in Asia! The PADI IDC is the heartbeat of the PADI system. It’s one of the most rewarding experiences of your life and success on the program, will open up a world full of opportunities for you as a PADI professional. Your future career will take you to the most beautiful places in the world, a job that most people only dream of!
PADI’s Dive Instructor Development Course (IDC) Koh Tao is the final step of the PADI Dive Instructor training process. During the PADI IDC at Sairee Cottage Diving, you’ll learn how to utilize and adapt the PADI system of diver education to best meet your student divers individual needs. Whether you’re in the classroom, confined water or conducting an open water presentation, you’ll learn the best techniques and real life teaching tips using the latest PADI multimedia and training aids.
Read more reviews
During our IDC, we aim to offer you exceptional training from PADI Course Director Marcel van den Berg. Our 14 day program allows us flexibility and time to focus on your professional development as a PADI Dive Instructor. You’ll get the individual attention you’ll need to become a successful PADI pro, not only on Koh Tao, but World Wide!
Marcel van den Berg has created an IDC program that goes well beyond the minimum standards, with extra lectures, more topics and more real life training to ensure that you will have a fantastic and successful career in the Dive Industry.
Included Sairee Cottage Diving IDC EXTRA’s
- Dorm Accommodation included during your IDC, MSDT and Internship course
- Free O2 Provider Dive Instructor course
- Sairee Cottage Diving IDC T-Shirt and Mask Strap
- Free PADI backpack
- 20 free fun dives to use before and after you IDC
- 200 THB fun dives (cost price) for the rest of your life!
- Fun dives are true fun dives and not "Working Dives"
- Free Lunch for the duration of your IDC course
- Free Sairee Cottage Diving IDC Dry Bag
- Free Eco Conservation Program and Lectures
- Extra personal lessons if needed
- Unique designed Preparation materials for you to study before arrival
- Discount on Dive Equipment
- Unique How to teach the best night dive experience workshop!
- Private IDC Dive training Boat to go to any dive location on Koh Tao at relaxed times
- Unique designed Fish Identification Day
- USB with 19 GB of extra teaching tools for you to use during and after the IDC
- 50% Discount on our Local Gym & Fitness
Your PADI Course Director
Platinum PADI Course Director / EFR Dive Instructor Trainer #492721
"Let me introduce myself; my name is Marcel van den Berg. I’m originally from the Netherlands and now living in Thailand for almost a decade. In 2003, I decided to take a diving course to experience the hype that everyone was talking about. It only took me 20 minutes on my first Open Water dive to realize that you can have fantastic career in this amazing underwater realm. From that moment on, I actively pursued my career in diving.
I hold a tremendous passion towards diving which I could share to others during my teaching and turning thousands of students into divers. It didn’t take long to decide to advance in my career and continued my education towards Course Director and Specialty Dive Instructor Trainer. Within the first year I achieved Platinum Status from PADI and kept that until this Day. Now I’m able to teach the success I had to new Divemasters and Dive Instructors and I look forward to share my passion and success in Diving with you!
Come and join us for your IDC at Sairee Cottage Diving and let me teach you an award winning program that far exceeds the minimum standards of the dive industry”
Marcel van den Berg
Taught over 4000+ students on all PADI levels.
- PADI Platinum Course Director #492721
- Emergency Oxygen Provider Dive Instructor Trainer
- Multilevel Dive Instructor Trainer
- Equipment Specialist Dive Instructor Trainer
- Wreck Specialist Dive Instructor Trainer
- Fish Identification Dive Instructor Trainer
- Digital Underwater Photography Trainer
- Diver Propulsion Vehicle Dive Instructor Trainer
- Search & Recovery Dive Instructor Trainer
- Underwater Navigator Dive Instructor Trainer
- Underwater Naturalist Dive Instructor Trainer
- Night Diving Instructor Trainer
- Boat Diving Instructor Trainer
- Enriched Air Dive Instructor Trainer
- Deep Diving Instructor Trainer
- Peak Performance Buoyancy Dive Instructor Trainer
- Project AWARE Dive Instructor Trainer
- AWARE Coral Reef Conservation Dive Instructor Trainer
- AWARE Shark Conservation Dive Instructor Trainer
- EFR Dive Instructor Trainer
- EFR Care for Children and AED Dive Instructor Trainer
- Awarded 23 PADI Recognition of Excellence awards
- Co-Author First Quarter 2012 Undersea Journal Project AWARE
- PADI Member of the month April 2011
- Co-Creator of the Project AWARE Presentation for Dive Instructor Development 2013
- Received Many Project AWARE awards
What will I do?
Sairee Cottage’s IDC is divided into four distinct segments.
- A 6-day PADI Assistant Diving Instructor (AI) course. This also includes 2 days of Dive Theory presentations as well as a skill circuit where we evaluate your skill set and knowledge before proceeding deeper into the IDC program.
- A 5 day PADI Open Water Scuba Diving Instructor (OWSI) course where we evaluate your ability to present in Confined Water, Open Water and in the classroom using the PADI system of Diver Education in the AI section of your IDC.
(Both courses must be completed successfully before attending the PADI IE.)
- A 2 day MOCK Diving Instructor exam (MOCK IE) which allows us final evaluation of your capabilities as a soon to be PADI Dive Instructor.
- The 3 day PADI Diving Instructor Exam (IE). This is a standardized, objective evaluation conducted by Dive Instructor Examiners from one of the PADI Head Office’s Worldwide.
Our IDC’s are conducted over a 14 day extended time period, with a day off on completion of your AI. This 14 day period allows us plenty of time for individual attention and remediation.
Meaning, you get to do more than the bare minimum on your IDC’s. We’ll do additional Skill Circuits, Confined Water, Open Water and Academic Presentations. Workshops on CESA, Navigation, Descents, Search and Recovery (lift bags & Knots) and bring in real life examples of teaching in the real world. We not only aim to guide you to success on your IE, but also to become a confidant, knowledgeable and skilful Dive educator on completion of your IE.
This extra attention to detail and commitment to our IDC candidates means you’ll enter the Dive Instructor Exam feeling super confident of success not only on the IE but in your future as a PADI Professional.
PADI IDC - PRE REQUISITES
To join us on our Sairee Cottage IDC you should:
- Hold a PADI Divemaster or Assistant Dive Instructor qualification with current membership of PADI, or an equivalent leadership level certification with another training organization
- Have proof of 60 logged dives
- Have medical clearance of fitness to dive, signed by a doctor within the past 12 months
- Hold proof of first aid/cardio-pulmonary resuscitation training within the last 24 months
- Have been a certified diver (Open Water Diver course or equivalent) for at least six months
- Be at least 18 years old
To join an IE, in addition to the above you must have proof of a minimum of 100 logged dives, and have successfully completed the Dive Instructor Development Course (IDC).
How to Prepare for your PADI IDC
By preparing thoroughly in advance, you will benefit most from your IDC, and avoid feeling overloaded. Before starting the IDC, we recommend that you:
- Purchase all required materials
- Familiarize yourself with the PADI Dive Instructor Manual and the Guide to Teaching
- Revise the five theory topics (Physics, Physiology, Equipment, Dive Skills and the Environment, Recreational Dive Planner), using the Encyclopedia of Recreational Diving and Diving Knowledge Workbook, or enroll online for Dive Theory eLearning. As this is not part of the IDC Curriculum, a good understanding of Dive Theory is necessary. We will be evaluating you in this area throughout your IDC, and remediating where necessary, so please come prepared.
- Make sure you have the latest version of the PADI Dive Instructor Manual or update yours with the latest Training Bulletins. You would of received an Dive Instructor Manual with your Divemaster Crewpak. As well, if you’ve set yourself up an account, you can download the most current version from the PADI pro site.
- Review the 24 skills you practiced during your Divemaster course
- Practice the ‘Unconscious Diver at the Surface’ exercise from your PADI Rescue Diver course.
Required Course Materials
- PADI Dive Instructor Manual (paper or digital version)
- Guide to Teaching with hologram
- Specialty Dive Instructor Manual CD-ROM
- Open Water Diver cue cards (confined water)
- Open Water Diver cue cards (open water)
- Confined water lesson preparation slate
- Open water lesson preparation slate
- Adventures in Diving cue cards
- Rescue Diver cue cards
- Divemaster cue cards (included in your Divemaster Crew Pack)
- Discover Scuba Diving cue cards (included in your Divemaster Crew Pack)
- Dive Instructor for Divemaster cue cards
- Open Water Diver quizzes and exams
- Rescue Diver final exams
- Divemaster final exams
- Encyclopedia of Recreational Diving (included in your Divemaster Crew Pack)
- Diving Knowledge Workbook
- eRDPml and RDP (table version) with instructions for use booklet
- Manuals from Open Water to Divemaster
- How to use and choose dive computers
The Sairee Cottage Diving IDC Course will give you amazing personal attention, real life teaching experiences, eco conservation, advanced risk management, extra help finding jobs and so much more extra training to ensure your success in your new diving career.
This is the price for the IDC course with us on Koh Tao: PADI IDC Course: 37900 THB PADI EFR Instructor: 7400 THB IDC Crewpack (books): 18000 THB EFRi Manual: 3500 THB
Duration: 21 days
Master Scuba Diver Trainer (MSDT)
Teaching Specialty courses is extremely rewarding, enjoyable and allows you to teach your true passion.
After successful completion of your PADI Dive Instructor Exam, we dedicate our time and focus our energies, on teaching our newest dive educators, how to conduct the PADI specialty programs on our unique PADI MSDT Master Scuba Diver Trainer Specialty Program.
Being a PADI MSDT MASTER SCUBA DIVER TRAINER means you students will be able to learn from an expert in that particularly PADI Specialty Course. You are able to train student divers so they can reach the pinnacle certification in recreational diving.
This course starts with the PADI Specialty Dive Instructor Course where you learn how to plan, conduct and market PADI Specialty courses in at least 5 different areas. We cover knowledge development and course standards specific to the areas you choose. Candidates are also required to present sections of the Academic’s in the classroom, participate in in-water workshops as well as Open water teaching presentations.
You need a minimum of 5 specialties instructor ratings for MSDT, but as a Sairee Cottage Diving promotion we offer to teach you 8 specialties for the same price as 5 specialties. These are the specialties that we will teach you:
- PADI Enriched Air Specialty Dive Instructor
- PADI Deep Diver Specialty Diving Instructor
- PADI Wreck Specialty Dive Instructor
- PADI Oxygen Provider Instructor
- PADI Night Diver Specialty Dive Instructor
- PADI Navigation Diver Specialty Diving Instructor
- Project AWARE Shark Conservation Specialty Diving Instructor
- Project AWARE Marine Conservation Specialty Dive Instructor
To be able to send in your application for these specialties you need to have proof of experience of 10 dives in your logbook for that field. If you do not have these dives then you can get that extra experience with us. Please let us know if you have any questions about this.
To achieve the full MSDT rating, you need to get 5 PADI specialty ratings and certify 25 students for any PADI course. You can get these 25 certifications by teaching independently after the MSDT course anywhere in the world. Once you have achieved the 25 certifications you can then apply directly to PADI for the MSDT rating. In the mean time you are already allowed to teach the specialties.
Please check out our most populair Instructor Career Package, that will give you the best chance of getting a fantastic Dive Instructor job after completion:
Instructor Career Package:
- IDC Preparation Course
- Assistant Instructor Course
- OWSI Course (IDC)
- Instructor materials (IDC Crew pack)
- EFR Instructor Course
- EFR Instructor Manual
- Project AWARE Marine Eco Conservation Program
- Free O2 Provider Specialty Instructor
- Master Scuba Diver Trainer (MSDT) Specialties
- Including Enriched Air Nitrox Instructor
- Free MSDT materials and manuals
- Free Eco Drinking Bottle and Eco Shopping Bag
- Free Rental Scuba Equipment during the IDC and MSDT Specialty Courses
- Sairee Cottage IDC T-Shirt and Mask Strap
- Discount on buying Dive Equipment
Total All-Inclusive Package Price: 82,010 Baht
(Package discount 10% on the MSDT Specialties)!
Duration: 1 month
Free Team-Teaching on a PADI course with real life students after completion of the IDC:
We already teach our PADI IDC and MSDT in an incredibly realistic way, as most other IDC programs are usually taught to only pass the IE Exam with minimal real life teachings. At Sairee Cottage Diving we strongly believe that passing the IE is not that hard with the right training, but it is much more important to learn how to successfully teach in real-life after completing your PADI Instructor Exams.
We care succeeding in your future job as a Diving Instructor, so we now offer a free assist on a real life course conducted by an extremely experienced senior staff instructor. Giving you even more real life training to increase your job opportunities significantly after you complete your Instructor course!
Instructor Application: $267 AUD
EFR Instructor Application: $184 AUD
Instructor Exam: $930 AUD
With MSDT Specialties:
Specialty Instructor Application: $107 AUD/Specialty
Download extra general information here:
PADI Dive Instructor Videos
Instructor Dive Equipment Packages
During our PADI Instructor Development Course (IDC) and Master Scuba Diver Trainer (MSDT) Specialties, we do offer to lend you our shop equipment for free. Except for a Dive Knife and a SMB. (which you can buy here, if needed).
However it will always be more comfortable and convenient to have your own equipment; and if you want to work in the dive industry, staff have to have their own kit as a rule in nearly all dive companies. So start your new dive career straight away with a brand new set of Professional Dive Gear.
We have created 3 fantastic, very reasonably priced, diving equipment packages to suit all budgets: The Silver, Gold and the Platinum Dive Equipment Package!
- The Silver Dive Equipment Package - a very affordable way to kick-start your new adventure for 45233 THB
- The Gold Dive Equipment Package - high quality, but still affordable dive equipment for 64698 THB • Most Popular Choice •
- The Platinum Dive Equipment Package - for those who want more luxurious and high-end dive equipment for 84384 THB
We also offer separate Scuba Pro Wetsuits and Suunto Dive Computers.
There is a 15% discount included in these dive gear packages if you pre-order this equipment with your Dive Instructor Package. You can always change items here on arrival if you want. Please contact us for more information.