Dive Instructor Development Course – IDC
Koh Tao in Thailand is the most successful dive training location in the World! Join our PADI Dive Instructor Development Course (IDC) Koh Tao Program at Sairee Cottage Diving and be part of one of the fastest growing Dive Centers in Asia! The PADI IDC is the heartbeat of the PADI system. It’s one of the most rewarding experiences of your life and success on the program, will open up a world full of opportunities for you as a PADI professional. Your future career will take you to the most beautiful places in the world, a job that most people only dream of!
PADI’s Dive Instructor Development Course (IDC) Koh Tao is the final step of the PADI Dive Instructor training process. During the PADI IDC at Sairee Cottage Diving, you’ll learn how to utilize and adapt the PADI system of diver education to best meet your student divers individual needs. Whether you’re in the classroom, confined water or conducting an open water presentation, you’ll learn the best techniques and real life teaching tips using the latest PADI multimedia and training aids.
During our IDC, we aim to offer you exceptional training from PADI Course Director Marcel van den Berg. Our 14 day program allows us flexibility and time to focus on your professional development as a PADI Dive Instructor. You’ll get the individual attention you’ll need to become a successful PADI pro, not only on Koh Tao, but World Wide!
Marcel van den Berg has created an IDC program that goes well beyond the minimum standards, with extra lectures, more topics and more real life training to ensure that you will have a fantastic and successful career in the Dive Industry.
Included Sairee Cottage Diving IDC EXTRA’s
- Free O2 Provider Dive Instructor course
- Sairee Cottage Diving IDC T-Shirt
- Free PADI backpack
- 20 free fun Dives before and after your IDC
- 100 THB fun dives for the rest of your life!
- Free Lunch for the duration of your IDC course
- One Free ‘Team Teach’ on completion of your IE
- A ‘PASS GUARANTEE’ on your Dive Instructor Exam.
- Free Eco Conservation Program and Lectures
- Extra personal lessons if needed
- Free Deepblu COSMIQ Diving Computer!
- Unique designed Preparation materials for you to study before arrival
- Discount on Dive Equipment
- Private IDC Dive training Boat to go to any dive location on Koh Tao at relaxed times
- USB with 19 GB of extra teaching tools for you to use during and after the IDC
Your PADI Course Director
Platinum PADI Course Director / EFR Dive Instructor Trainer #492721
“Let me introduce myself; my name is Marcel van den Berg. I’m originally from the Netherlands and now living in Thailand for almost a decade. In 2003, I decided to take a diving course to experience the hype that everyone was talking about. It only took me 20 minutes on my first Open Water dive to realize that you can have fantastic career in this amazing underwater realm. From that moment on, I actively pursued my career in diving.
I hold a tremendous passion towards diving which I could share to others during my teaching and turning thousands of students into divers. It didn’t take long to decide to advance in my career and continued my education towards Course Director and Specialty Dive Instructor Trainer. Within the first year I achieved Platinum Status from PADI and kept that until this Day. Now I’m able to teach the success I had to new Divemasters and Dive Instructors and I look forward to share my passion and success in Diving with you!
Come and join us for your IDC at Sairee Cottage Diving and let me teach you an award winning program that far exceeds the minimum standards of the dive industry”
Marcel van den Berg
Taught over 3000 students on all PADI levels.
- PADI Platinum Course Director #492721
- Emergency Oxygen Provider Dive Instructor Trainer
- Multilevel Dive Instructor Trainer
- Equipment Specialist Dive Instructor Trainer
- Wreck Specialist Dive Instructor Trainer
- Fish Identification Dive Instructor Trainer
- Digital Underwater Photography Trainer
- Diver Propulsion Vehicle Dive Instructor Trainer
- Search & Recovery Dive Instructor Trainer
- Underwater Navigator Dive Instructor Trainer
- Underwater Naturalist Dive Instructor Trainer
- Night Diving Instructor Trainer
- Boat Diving Instructor Trainer
- Enriched Air Dive Instructor Trainer
- Deep Diving Instructor Trainer
- Peak Performance Buoyancy Dive Instructor Trainer
- Project AWARE Dive Instructor Trainer
- AWARE Coral Reef Conservation Dive Instructor Trainer
- AWARE Shark Conservation Dive Instructor Trainer
- EFR Dive Instructor Trainer
- EFR Care for Children and AED Dive Instructor Trainer
- Awarded 23 PADI Recognition of Excellence awards
- Co-Author First Quarter 2012 Undersea Journal Project AWARE
- PADI Member of the month April 2011
- Co-Creator of the Project AWARE Presentation for Dive Instructor Development 2013
- Received Many Project AWARE awards
- An interview about living in Paradise with PADI Platinum Course Director Marcel van den Berg
What will I do?
Sairee Cottage’s IDC is divided into four distinct segments.
- A 6-day PADI Assistant Diving Instructor (AI) course. This also includes 2 days of Dive Theory presentations as well as a skill circuit where we evaluate your skill set and knowledge before proceeding deeper into the IDC program.
- A 5 day PADI Open Water Scuba Diving Instructor (OWSI) course where we evaluate your ability to present in Confined Water, Open Water and in the classroom using the PADI system of Diver Education in the AI section of your IDC.
(Both courses must be completed successfully before attending the PADI IE.)
- A 2 day MOCK Diving Instructor exam (MOCK IE) which allows us final evaluation of your capabilities as a soon to be PADI Dive Instructor.
- The 3 day PADI Diving Instructor Exam (IE). This is a standardized, objective evaluation conducted by Dive Instructor Examiners from one of the PADI Head Office’s Worldwide.
Our IDC’s are conducted over a 14 day extended time period, with a day off on completion of your AI. This 14 day period allows us plenty of time for individual attention and remediation.
Meaning, you get to do more than the bare minimum on your IDC’s. We’ll do additional Skill Circuits, Confined Water, Open Water and Academic Presentations. Workshops on CESA, Navigation, Descents, Search and Recovery (lift bags & Knots) and bring in real life examples of teaching in the real world. We not only aim to guide you to success on your IE, but also to become a confidant, knowledgeable and skilful Dive educator on completion of your IE.
This extra attention to detail and commitment to our IDC candidates means you’ll enter the Dive Instructor Exam feeling super confident of success not only on the IE but in your future as a PADI Professional.
PADI IDC – PRE REQUISITES
To join us on our Sairee Cottage IDC you should:
- Hold a PADI Divemaster or Assistant Dive Instructor qualification with current membership of PADI, or an equivalent leadership level certification with another training organization
- Have proof of 60 logged dives
- Have medical clearance of fitness to dive, signed by a doctor within the past 12 months
- Hold proof of first aid/cardio-pulmonary resuscitation training within the last 24 months
- Have been a certified diver (Open Water Diver course or equivalent) for at least six months
- Be at least 18 years old
To join an IE, in addition to the above you must have proof of a minimum of 100 logged dives, and have successfully completed the Dive Instructor Development Course (IDC).
How to Prepare for your PADI IDC
By preparing thoroughly in advance, you will benefit most from your IDC, and avoid feeling overloaded. Before starting the IDC, we recommend that you:
- Purchase all required materials
- Familiarize yourself with the PADI Dive Instructor Manual and the Guide to Teaching
- Revise the five theory topics (Physics, Physiology, Equipment, Dive Skills and the Environment, Recreational Dive Planner), using the Encyclopedia of Recreational Diving and Diving Knowledge Workbook, or enroll online for Dive Theory eLearning. As this is not part of the IDC Curriculum, a good understanding of Dive Theory is necessary. We will be evaluating you in this area throughout your IDC, and remediating where necessary, so please come prepared.
- Make sure you have the latest version of the PADI Dive Instructor Manual or update yours with the latest Training Bulletins. You would of received an Dive Instructor Manual with your Divemaster Crewpak. As well, if you’ve set yourself up an account, you can download the most current version from the PADI pro site.
- Review the 24 skills you practiced during your Divemaster course
- Practice the ‘Unconscious Diver at the Surface’ exercise from your PADI Rescue Diver course.
Required Course Materials
- PADI Dive Instructor Manual (paper or digital version)
- Guide to Teaching with hologram
- Specialty Dive Instructor Manual CD-ROM
- Open Water Diver cue cards (confined water)
- Open Water Diver cue cards (open water)
- Confined water lesson preparation slate
- Open water lesson preparation slate
- Adventures in Diving cue cards
- Rescue Diver cue cards
- Divemaster cue cards (included in your Divemaster Crew Pack)
- Discover Scuba Diving cue cards (included in your Divemaster Crew Pack)
- Dive Instructor for Divemaster cue cards
- Open Water Diver quizzes and exams
- Rescue Diver final exams
- Divemaster final exams
- Encyclopedia of Recreational Diving (included in your Divemaster Crew Pack)
- Diving Knowledge Workbook
- eRDPml and RDP (table version) with instructions for use booklet
- Manuals from Open Water to Divemaster
- How to use and choose dive computers
Master Scuba Diver Trainer (MSDT)
Teaching Specialty courses is extremely rewarding, enjoyable and allows you to teach your true passion.
After successful completion of your PADI Dive Instructor Exam, we dedicate our time and focus our energies, on teaching our newest dive educators, how to conduct the PADI specialty programs on our unique PADI MSDT Master Scuba Diver Trainer Preparation and Internship Program.
Being a PADI MSDT MASTER SCUBA DIVER TRAINER means you students will be able to learn from an expert in that particularly PADI Specialty Course. You are able to train student divers so they can reach the pinnacle certification in recreational diving.
This course is combined with the PADI Specialty Dive Instructor Program where you learn how to plan, conduct and market Specialty training in at least 5 different areas. We cover knowledge development and course standards specific to the areas you choose. Candidates are also required to present sections of the Academic’s in the classroom, participate in in-water workshops as well as Open water teaching presentations.
You need a minimum of 5 specialties but as a Sairee Cottage Diving promotion we offer to teach you 10 specialties for the same price as 5 specialties. These are the specialties that we will teach you:
- PADI Enriched Air Specialty Dive Instructor
- PADI Deep Diver Specialty Diving Instructor
- PADI Wreck Specialty Dive Instructor
- PADI Digital Underwater Photographer Specialty Diving Instructor
- PADI Oxygen Provider Instructor
- PADI Night Diver Specialty Dive Instructor
- PADI Navigation Diver Specialty Diving Instructor
- PADI Search and Recovery Specialty Dive Instructor
- Project AWARE Shark Conservation Specialty Diving Instructor
- Project AWARE Marine Conservation Specialty Dive Instructor
Once the specialty Dive Instructor training is complete, you then move on to gain the minimum pre-requisite of 25 PADI diver certifications before you can apply to PADI for the prestigious MASTER SCUBA DIVER TRAINER Rating. During this phase of your training, you’ll be working side by side with our team of highly motivated, experienced IDC Staff Dive Instructors.
This rewarding part of your training is – The INTERNSHIP program
Initially, you begin under the direct supervision of an experienced Dive Instructor, observing how they conduct their PADI programs. Here, we begin to build your teaching skills and confidence, giving advice and valuable tips as we gradually hand more responsibility to you, to the point, where you’ll feel confident to conduct your very own PADI program. During this Internship process, you’ll be evaluated on your performance and receive real life teaching tips and techniques from the Senior Dive Instructors.
The internship has a 6 week limit. This gives you the chance to get the minimum of 25 certifications required for your MSDT rating.
This Internship program offers you real-life teaching experience and past participates have found this Internship as rewarding as the IDC itself.
- To qualify as an MSDT
- Be an Open Water Scuba Dive Instructor
- Have five PADI specialty Dive Instructor certifications
- Have certified at least 25 PADI divers
Contact us about the Instructor Development Course
PADI Dive Instructor Videos
Instructor Dive Equipment Packages
Start your new dive career straight away with a brand new set of Professional Dive Gear. We are proud to present the Diving Instructor Silver and Gold Dive Equipment Packages that include everything you need to start your career in the best way possible. During our PADI Instructor Development Course (IDC), Master Scuba Diver Trainer (MSDT) and Instructor Internship course, we do offer to lend you our shop equipment for free. However it will always be more comfortable and convenient to have your own equipment; and if you want to work in the dive industry, staff have to have their own kit as a rule in nearly all dive companies.
At Sairee Cottage Diving we offer 2 packages to suit different budgets:
- The Silver Dive Equipment Package – a very affordable way to kick-start your new endeavor
- The Gold Dive Equipment Package for those who want more luxurious and high-end dive equipment.
We also offer separate Scuba Pro Wetsuits and Suunto Dive Computers.
Whilst most of the time you can comfortably dive in a “rash guard” on Koh Tao, for a few months a year (between November and January) the water temperature usually gets a bit chillier. For this reason we recommend a 3mm Scuba Pro Thermal Tec Wetsuit. This wetsuit will be good for most tropical dive locations around the world.
We can also supply Dive Torches. These are be very handy when in reduced visibility and they really bring out the colours on those Amazing Night Dives or Wreck penetrations.
Also, if you pre-order any piece of dive equipment or even a whole dive equipment package online we will offer an extra 15% discount on the item or package. Please ask for this in your enquiry.